Sunday, February 8, 2009

Lighting

Today's Work - Stared at painting for a while, annoyed.

Materials
Sunlight

I am annoyed with lamps. More specifically, I am annoyed with my lamp in my bedroom.

My current work in progress (on my table easel) is subject to wild changes in the way it looks. I only work on it during the day, between noon and four, because the lighting has so much of an effect on it. Its amazing how different it looks by the light of day versus the light of my horrid bedside lamp. The colors are rich and have variety by day, at night the yellow of my bulb turns it all gray and bland. And it's horrible to make decisions based on that kind of light.

Good lighting is essential, not only for working, but for display as well. When you purchase a work from an artist, and then hang it in a dark hallway, you are missing a lot of hard work spent on getting just the right color, just the right tone.

So do yourself a favor, get rid of the horrid lighting where your paintings live.

No comments:

Post a Comment