Monday, February 2, 2009

I'm a Fan of Fan Brushes

February 2, 2009

Today's Work - Varnished Robot Still Life II: "Adventure"

Materials
Damar Varnish (thinned with linseed oil and thinner)
Grumbacher #4 Fan Brush

So what do you think about fan brushes? I love me a good fan brush like nobody else. They are so versatile. Paint with them, soften edges with them, varnish with them. Heck, you could probably eat dinner with them if you wanted.

But then there's the downside - bad fan brushes. I think all materials used should be of good quality, of course, but fan brushes have a special place in my heart. And bad fan brushes have a special place in my trash can.

A bad fan brush, when used as a good one would be used, will scrape all the hard work you just spent hours doing right off the canvas.

Fan brushes should be soft, they are used to soften things, so it makes sense. They should not be made of "hair" that feels like wire. And they need to be kept clean so they remain usable.

So be nice to your fan brush, and it will be nice to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment